Love Is Here
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son. This is the verdict: Light has come into the world…
Jesus went through all the towns and villages, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the good news of the kingdom and healing every disease and sickness. When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd.
When Jesus entered history, he did so as God incarnate…God with us. The Living God invaded creation and brought light to a dark world. Maybe the greatest feature we see in Jesus, the characteristic that shines the brightest is LOVE. Time and again we see Jesus having love and compassion toward the people he encountered. This was not simply an emotional response. The love and compassion motivated Jesus to act.
When Jesus encountered the hurting and suffering, he healed them.
When Jesus encountered the crowds who were hungry, he fed them.
When Jesus encountered those abandoned and lonely, he befriended them.
Again and again we see the love of God on full display in the person of Jesus. Jesus cares for his people. Jesus cares for you.
- Christ came to encourage and lift up.
- Christ came to bring comfort and support.
- Christ came to end pain and suffering.
- Christ came to demonstrate love and compassion.
Through Jesus, you can see how much God cares for his people. You can see how much God cares for you.
If our faith in Christ does not bring us encouragement and strength, we have missed the purpose of Jesus’ incarnation. We need to step out of the shadows of our world and step into the warmth and glow of his radiance. We need to fully embrace the Light and experience his compassion and love.
God’s love in action defined so much of Jesus’s ministry.
- How does his love define who you are?
CHOOSE AN ACTIVITY FOR YOUR FAMILY
Week 4 – LOVE
God showed his indescribable love for us when He sent Jesus to rescue us.
- Roll out sleeping bags and hold a family sleepover by the Christmas tree. Ask: “What do you think it would be like to sleep at night in the hay with the cows and sheep?”
- Turn off the lights and read aloud the Christmas story from Luke 1:26-2:21 by the light of the Christmas tree. You could even use characters from a Nativity scene to act out the story.
- Take a globe (or pull up google maps) and have each family member choose a different country. Then search the internet to see how people celebrate Christmas in those places.