Jesus Is Here
I have come into the world as a light, so that no one who believes in me should stay in darkness.
You are a king, then!” said Pilate. Jesus answered, “You say that I am a king. In fact, the reason I was born and came into the world is to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me.
The true light, which illuminates “all things human,” joined the story as one of us. In his own words before Pilate, “I was born and came into the world.” Jesus had a definite beginning as a human, but all things were made through him before he took on flesh (John 1:3). He was, from the beginning, the light that the darkness could never manage to overtake (John 1:5). That light from above and from beyond brought the light within and walked among us. “While I am in the world, I am the light of the world” (John 9:5).
Every angle we have of Jesus glows.
- His death resolves sins.
- His resurrection gives fullness of life.
- He shares his victory by giving us the Holy Spirit.
- His words testify to truth.
- His example illuminates our path.
From every angle Jesus draws people to himself. He calls us to know him, to follow in his ways, to become part of his family of disciples.
So Jesus said to them, “The light is among you for a little while longer. Walk while you have the light, lest darkness overtake you. The one who walks in the darkness does not know where he is going. While you have the light, believe in the light, that you may become sons of light.” (John 12:35-36)
Light has dawned, the Lord is come. The world was made through him. Let earth receive her King! His own creatures didn’t receive him, but to those who did receive him, he gave the right to become children of God. So, let every heart prepare him room. Let us walk in the light as he himself is in the light. Then we can enjoy fellowship with one another and the blood of Jesus cleanses us from all sin. (1 John 1:7).
It’s a new horizon. The light shines in the darkness and gives life to humanity.
- Where do you see the Lord Jesus shining in your life?
- How will you walk in his light?
CHOOSE AN ACTIVITY FOR YOUR FAMILY
Jesus, Immanuel…God with us, has come. We now live in that space between a promise fulfilled and a promise yet to come.
- Bake cookies together. As they are baking, talk about anticipating how good they will be and talk about how the people of Israel were anticipating how good things would be when the Messiah came.
- Drive through a light display or drive around neighborhoods that have lots of homes decorated. Talk about how Jesus brings hope, peace, joy and love to a dark world.
- Before opening gifts, read Luke 2:1-20 together. Talk about how Jesus is the greatest gift we will ever receive.