The Flourishing of Others
We live in a “Me-First” society.
People often look out only for themselves. It’s real easy to get to a place where if there is nothing in it for us, it’s not worth our time. This attitude can get reinforced when we surround ourselves with a culture that says it’s okay not to worry about others while we run a “get ahead at all cost” race.
Maybe we feel like this:
- People get under our skin or on our last nerve easily.
- They constantly want something from us and don’t give anything in return.
- We really would like to tell them how we feel.
- I’m not my brother’s keeper.
These thoughts affect our treatment of others.
THERE’S A DIFFERENT WAY
We can choose to glorify the Lord and look for ways to flourish our brothers and sisters. The Lord’s desire is that we do to others as He does to us. He gives compassion and help. As His followers, we can love as He loves.
WEEKLY PRAYER PROMPTS
Choose a time and day of the week for the next four weeks to focus and pray.
Treat others with respect
- Do we show favoritism when the rich and poor are with us?
- How do we treat them both?
My brothers and sisters, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism; love your neighbor as yourself – James 2:1, 8
Desire the best for others, be at peace and spread peace
- Are you jealous when the Lord blesses others but not you in the same way?
- Just how peaceful, wise, and gentle are you when things are not going the way you wished?
Who is wise and understanding among you? Let that one show by deeds in gentleness of wisdom, for wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, able to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, unwavering, without hypocrisy, and the seed whose fruit is righteousness is sown in peace by those who bring wholeness – James 3:13, 17-18
- Is your tendency to criticize someone when that person is not living right?
Do not speak against one another, brothers and sisters. The one who speaks against a brother or judges the brother, speaks against the law and judgers the law; but if you judge the law, you are not a doer of the law but a judge of it. – James 4:11
- Have you wondered if someone, who is not living like the Lord wants, can be helped?
My brothers and sisters, if any among you strays from the truth and one turns him back, let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save his soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins. – James 5:19-20