“Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth.” – 2 Timothy 2:15
Types of GRowth
- Physical growth requires time.
- Intellectual growth demands personal study
- Spiritual growth, however, only occurs through obedience to the Lord’s directives.
Scripture is the primary means of communication between God and his people. Through the Bible God reveals what he desires from, and intends for, his people. We will never achieve our personal potential without obedience to what God teaches us.
Daily time in the Bible is essential to spiritual development. We are robbed of the life God intends for us when we neglect personal time in the Bible. There are many way to read the Bible for personal growth. Here are five suggestions.
Reading the Bible for Spiritual Growth
- Read through various books of the Bible, one or two chapters a day. Begin with John.
- Follow a daily reading plan. Many are available for free via the YouVersion Bible website or from their app on your phone. You can download the app for Android or Apple iOS.
- Read five chapters of Psalms a day. Your heart will be more tender in one month.
- Read one chapter from Proverbs a day. You’ll be a little wiser in just a month.
- Read from the Old and New Testaments daily. Start with Genesis and Matthew.
When you do these things, you will see significant progress in your personal spiritual growth! Don’t convince yourself you won’t understand. The Holy Spirit dwelling within you will help you understand. Before long you will find yourself hungering for more of what God is doing in your and through your daily time in the Word.