One of my favorite stories from past Vacation Bible Spectaculars involves a dad that came to see what his kids were up to at Alsbury. He didn’t have much experience with “church folks,” so he wasn’t sure what to expect. After walking into our worship center decorated to look like a swamp, he was a bit perplexed.
When everything got going:
- He saw kids leading other kids in worship with some catchy songs.
- He watched two grown men pretending to chase an invisible mouse across the stage.
- He witnessed adults and teenagers doing whatever it took to help the kids experience the love of God.
What Happened Next
At the end of this odd introduction, this mountain of a man knew he had to be part of it. Years later, those kids he came to see are in high school, and their dad has become one of those men pretending to chase invisible mice. He also serves in the LAB as one of our high energy hosts. Yep, that dad is Mr. Chris.
You Can Too!
VBS is a great introduction to serving at Alsbury. It involves a one week commitment that will leave you that good kind of tired. You’ll be part of a fantastic team working together with one goal in mind… encouraging kids to know Jesus’ love. VBS is a wonderful picture of the church. People with different skills and abilities work together to do what none of us could possibly do alone. You’ll develop relationships with other volunteers as well as with some amazing kids.
- If you are organized, there is a place of service for you. If you like chaos, there is a place of service for you.
- If you are artistic, there is a place of service for you.
- If you like to cook, there is a place of service for you.
- If you like to experiment with gizmos, there is a place of service for you.
- If you just like to act like a kid, there is a place of service for you.
- Even if you don’t really like being around kids, there is a place of service for you!